Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Finding My Old Self

I've decided to get back to things that let me escape the angst of my teenage years in preparation for the angst of aging. 

When I was't playing really bad guitar and singing out of key as a teenager, I was drawing horses. Drawing horses has always been an escape and I want to find that again. So let the journey begin...

My new chalk arrived the other day! Must try out!



I started with the colored pencils and drew life into flowers, grasses and a flowing mane. 



And then came the chalk. I like it much better for the larger parts of the drawing. Doesn't leave the lines that the pencils do.



Then I dug out the sketch pencils that I've had for years and never used because I've been so intimidated. Need to learn how to draw an eye and work on proportions, but I like the jawline and throat. 


Maybe someday I can draw the horse and color it in and take the coloring book out of the loop. In the meantime I'm enjoying the process:-) 

4 comments:

  1. You're right....the pastels are great for that larger areas. And I do love coloring books. There is just something so sweet and innocent about them.
    I'd say you have a good start on the horse sketch. Keep it going!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement... not sure why its so hard to start a sketch. Scary almost! Silly:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always that blank canvas that's intimidating!
    Chad bought me this really sweet book in Boulder. It's called "I surprise myself." The art of Elizabeth Sandvig. She said "I paint in order to learn to paint."
    That is so true. I remind myself of that.
    You're a good draw-er, Sheree! I am not. My best drawings are when I draw without looking at what I'm drawing...the kind of sketching where your pencil never leaves the paper...you are looking at the subject (a picture, photograph, a real horse out in the field!) and it's one continuous line drawing. I'm sure there's a name for that, but I can't remember. You know, that old brain thing. Lol!
    I really dig chalk pastels, as you know. I have sets galore of oil pastels and chalk pastels. But, you're right. The chunky sticks are great for large spaces and for rubbing your fingers on it for a softness, a shading. For the kind of "coloring" you are doing, try chalk pencils. It's just like the stick you got but you can fill in tiny details, as well!
    Koh-i-noor Gioconda Soft Pastel Pencils
    by Chartpak
    Link: https://amzn.com/B00GF23GLC
    These are a good brand...maybe a tad more $ but worth it! Pretty, pretty colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. How can I get better if I never try? Going to try to keep it going. I LOVE your piece "She Longs For The Mountains". It really resonates with me. I love that style whatever its called:-)
      I looked and looked for chalk pencils on Amazon. Wonder why I didn't see those! I put them on my Wishlist:-) Thanks for the link!

      Delete